Sunday 11 August 2013

An Interesting Optical Effect

I came across this interesting effect last year by chance. I'm sure many of you may have seen similar but it was a first for me and quite unusual. It all came about as I had entered my garage in order to take the car out to be washed ( yes another pleasant valley sunday! ). The day was sunny and I'd not bothered to put the garage light on basically using the small amount of light entering the sides of the garage door to see my way. As I was about to open the garage door my eyes were getting attuned to the dim light and I noticed a patch of colour on the magnolia painted garage wall. I looked at this and realised that what I was seeing was in effect a camera obscura image of the planter,wall and drive outside. The image is inverted as expected and though soft focus it was still easy to see bricks etc. The small opening at the side of the roller shutter door created the image, in effect I was inside the body of a simple camera. So the monotony of car washing turned up a absolute gem.


Forgive the cobwebs but I share my garage with many large house spiders..... and why not its nice to give them a good home.

No comments:

Post a Comment